Using a bong is one of the most popular ways to consume dry herbs or tobacco for recreational and medicinal purposes. If you’re new to smoking with a bong, it can be difficult to understand how the process works.
We’ll provide a step-by-step guide on how to hit a bong as well as important safety tips to keep in mind when doing so.
Understanding The Parts Of A Bong:
Before you can hit a bong, it’s important to understand the parts of a bong and how they work. A standard bong consists of a bowl, stem, water chamber, downstem, and mouthpiece.
- Bowl: This is the part of the bong where you place your dry herb or tobacco. The bowl includes a small hole at its base that allows smoke to enter the downstem when lit.
- Water Chamber: This is where you put water before inhaling through the mouthpiece. The water helps filter out any impurities in your smoke and cools it for smoother inhalation.
- Downstem: The downstem extends from the stem into the water chamber and serves as a conduit for smoke to travel from the bowl to the water chamber. It also has small holes at its base that allows smoke to enter the water chamber and be filtered through it.
- Mouthpiece: This is where you put your mouth when inhaling the smoke from the bong. The mouthpiece should fit comfortably around your lips and provide an airtight seal so no smoke escapes while you’re taking a hit.
What is Needed to Hit a Bong?
To hit a bong, you will need:
- A lighter or matches
- Dry herb or tobacco
- A bong
How to Hit a Bong:
Once you have everything you need to hit a bong, it’s time to get started. Here are the steps for how to hit a bong:
- Fill the water chamber of your bong with cold water so that the downstem is submerged. Make sure not to fill it too full so that air can still flow through it when inhaling.
- Pack your bowl with dry herb or tobacco and place the bowl into the stem of your bong. Make sure the hole at the bottom of the bowl is facing downward so that smoke can enter the downstem.
- Place your mouth over the mouthpiece and create an airtight seal.
- Using your lighter or matches, light the dry herb or tobacco in the bowl and inhale slowly as you do so. This should cause smoke to travel from the bowl, through the downstem into the water chamber and up to your mouth.
- Take a few breaths before exhaling through your nose or mouth. Be sure not to inhale too quickly or you may end up coughing from irritation of any impurities in your smoke being filtered by this bong’s water chamber.
Safety Tips When Hitting A Bong
- Make sure to keep your bong clean at all times in order to ensure no bacteria or other unwanted particles are entering your body with each puff.
- Always use cold water when filling the chamber of your bong as hot water can cause damage to its glass.
- Never leave a lit bowl unattended as it poses a serious fire risk. Additionally, be sure that you’re using proper ventilation when smoking with a bong so you don’t become overwhelmed with smoke.
Since there is a potential fire hazard when using a bong, it is important to practice proper safety techniques every time you smoke. Make sure the bowl isn’t left unattended while lit and ensure that the area has adequate ventilation.
Always use cold water when filling the chamber of your bong as hot water can cause damage to its glass. With these tips in mind, you’ll be able to enjoy an enjoyable smoking experience each and every time. Happy puffing!